Monday, November 12, 2012

Thinking....

Last night after working a twelve hour shift of running my butt off to serve people drinks and food.  I started talking to a co-worker and discussing the fact that  I should be skinny with all the running around I do at work plus all the workouts but sadly that is not the case.  
 
I had to work the next morning so I basically went to bed as soon as I got home but after a busy shift I could not shut my brain off.   I started to think about my weight and how frustrated I have been!  Is it because I am not trying hard enough?  or  Because  I really don't  want to lose weight?    Am I not on the right program?  Do I not workout enough?   Then my thinking started to change and I asked myself why do I want to lose weight?    To be honest I didn't have a quick answer.   Yes I want to lose weight to be healthy and look better but I felt like something was missing from my answer.   I have been lucky in my life that my weight has not affect making friends, getting  jobs or having a long term boyfriend sometimes these are reasons why people want to lose weight. 
 
So what is my reason for losing weight????   I want to lose weight so when I look in a full lenght mirror I am proud of what I see.  It might sound vain but it is the truth.  I want to get to my goal weight so I can help motivate and inspire others.  I want to be a be able to say " if I can do it you can do it too!" 
I want this to be me some day looking happy in the mirror
 What is stopping me from reaching my lifetime goal???   I started to search the web and came upon an article titled " Why Do You Say You Want to Lose Weight But Then Don’t Do It" Losing weight I read through the list and the one that held true to me was Fear!   If you have been reading my blog for awhile you know I suffer from a panic disorder which is based on fear.   I think I am afraid of people treating me different when I do get to my goal weight.  I really think I should be treated the same no matter what weight I am but realistically that is not true.  I noticed when I lost my first 50 pounds all the attention I was getting which was great at first but then made me think what was wrong with me before???     This is something I will have to work through but becoming aware of it is the first step right? 
 
What are your reasons for losing weight? 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joy! Very interesting post. First,thank you for saying hi on my blog. I want to lose weight because I like myself but I do NOT like the way I feel when I have to think about my health/appearance and that leads to all kinds of bad things like depression, overeating, self-doubt, etc. I'm at a size where the weight it so great it affects decisions large and small and I don't want that one extra worry/decision anymore. I want to feel...free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear is an often untalked about component of weight loss - absolutely true.

    My reasons ranged from health to appearance to self-esteem issues. Because it took me over a year to lose the weight, my reasons tended to shift around as my weight dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sara :) I am so glad you could stop by my blog. Look forward to reading yours again.

    Thanks Diane for sharing, losing weight is super hard and I am trying to get over my fear. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete

joylynnquinn@hotmail.com